A Resting Place

"It is enough that Jesus died, and that He died for me."

Thursday, April 21, 2005

"worship"

Props to Gaines for linking to this article from Challies.com on "worship." I really do get frustrated about all the singing about how we're going to sing, and worshipping by singing that we're going to worship. In fact, I'm overall tired of all the things we say we're going to do in modern worship songs. "I will" this and "I will" that... Isn't worship about what God has done? I'm becoming more convinced that, overall (though not in every case), hymnody really did take a bad turn sometime in the 19th century.

Are Your Hymns Too Spiritual? is a chapter from In the Face of God by Michael Horton. I read the book last year and highly recommend it to every single living Christian. I think it addresses the issue well.

Al just posted on this as well, and he quotes Marva Dawn, whom I'd highly recommend on the issue of worship. Check out Reaching Out Without Dumbing Down.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:26 PM, Blogger Christopher Alexander said…

    Thanks for linking to this chapter by Dr. Horton. His comments struck home, and he really pegged the Gaithers! I can't wait to find the book now.

    http://hymnody.blogspot.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home