A Resting Place

"It is enough that Jesus died, and that He died for me."

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Confessions of a Recovering Pharisee

From time to time on my little blog here, I am going to offer up some insight into the mind of a recovering legalist: me. I've spent years as a Pharisee, setting all kinds of rules around the moral commands of the Bible, and building all my personal fences onto my neighbor's yards. Whenever I make one of my "confessions," I'm certain to upset some evangelicals, because to some extent, I was the product of American Christian Moralism, modifying my behavior to fit what a "good Christian" should be, according to the flawless standards of American Christianity. I'm certain to fill the posts with sarcasm, not because I want to ridicule others, but because I was (and probably in many ways still am) the person I'll be writing to, and it was good, witty, and graceful sarcasm, combined with the powerful truth of our freedom in Christ, that began the transformation process in me. So I hope you enjoy my "Confessions of a Recovering Pharisee."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home