A Resting Place

"It is enough that Jesus died, and that He died for me."

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

The Orthodoxy of Green Day?

I haven't listened to Green Day since my high school years, but I just might need to find someone with a copy of American Idiot. No, I haven't become a political liberal or anything like that, but I did come across an interesting article on Break Point by Catholic Mark Gauvreau Judge that argues that music is not primarily about liberal agendas or conservative values, but one can find an incredible mix of both in music that is either beautiful or ugly. The article is Beautiful Green Day: Is Rock and Roll Liberal or Conservative?, and here's an excerpt:

...according to many theologians – and this conservative Catholic Green Day fan – beauty in music is an echo of God. (Of course, beauty and ugliness, which represents the dark side of life and the spirit world, can both be represented on the same record).This is a truth which is often ignored – both by conservatives bent on silencing rock and liberals who think that music is all about social protest.
Interesting stuff indeed. I think a Calvinist theology of Common Grace can manage to fit some of these ideas into it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home