A Resting Place

"It is enough that Jesus died, and that He died for me."

Monday, May 02, 2005

Weekends On Call

I always enjoy my weekends on call, because I have to stay home; I have no other option. This usually means I get a good amount of reading done, and since I'm plugging through book after book for my thesis, I was able to finish two that relate to the topic.

Thomas C. Oden

Rebirth of Orthodoxy, Thomas C. Oden
As I said in another post, Oden is my new hero. I am extremely close to being sold on paleo-orthodoxy as the way to go. I feel like a theological wandering star these days, and a good remedy for that is the tested and true doctrine of the early church fathers. Sure, they had some stuff wrong, but when it comes to defining the essentials of the faith, no one's better. I'm going to start digging into all the emerging confessing movements that are calling us back to the historic Christian faith.

Escape from Reason, Francis Shaeffer
Shaeffer has officially made it into my "I need to read everything he's ever written" list. He makes an interesting and relevant distinction between rationalism and rationality. Postmodern rhetoric tends to group the two together and throw them both out. Schaeffer argues that rationalism is the silly belief that the intellect is not fallen and can come to the right conclusions (Enlightenment thinking). Rationality, on the other hand, is allowing for antithesis (if A is true, not-A is false). Lots more in the book, but that's enough for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home