A Resting Place

"It is enough that Jesus died, and that He died for me."

Saturday, December 18, 2004

"Obey your Bishop"

For those of you who just realized, "It's Saturday, and I haven't done my SS homework yet," or for those of you just checking the blog to see if I've added anything, I want to challenge you on a point or two before you come into class tomorrow.

It is highly likely that Ignatius' command to obey the bishop even as you would Jesus Christ is rather shocking to you. It was to me as well. I want to challenge you to think outside the box on this one. Remember, our goal in doing Historical Theology is not to first denounce a position that sounds foreign (or even scary) to us, but rather to try to understand it and challenge our own thinking first. Again, we do Historical Theology to help us get free from the trappings of our own modern way of thinking. Take into account Hebrews 13:17 while thinking on this.

Have fun tomorrow with Brad. I'll be preaching a Christmas sermon at 1st Baptist LeRoy. I plan to write out the sermon today, so if you're interested, check the blog regularly, and hopefully I'll have the text for it posted by Sunday evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home