A Resting Place

"It is enough that Jesus died, and that He died for me."

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Remedies for Pharisaism

As I've been thinking through these "Confessions of a Recovering Pharisee," not only for this blog, but for a book I'm planning to write someday, I've also been thinking through the things that helped, and continue to help remedy my condition. One of the things that sort of shocked me out of Pharisaism was reading the rantings of Michael Spencer. Three articles in particular were helpful. So if you have some extra time and are looking for some enjoyable, yet soul-challenging reading, grap a cup of coffee, relax, and check out the following articles:

Wretched Urgency
Wretched Urgency II: My Not-So Guilty Pleasures
Dancing at the Fundamentalist Ball

Of course, the ultimate remedy for legalism is a good, hard, honest look at the death of Christ. And then you should go read Martin Luther. But Spencer's work is a good, modern day starting point for confronting the mess we've made of the church - what Andrew Peterson has called "the second coming of the Pharisees."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home