A Resting Place

"It is enough that Jesus died, and that He died for me."

Monday, March 28, 2005

The Challenge of Wright

I'm finally getting around to reading at least a little bit of N.T. Wright now that I've found that some of his work addresses Christianity in the postmodern context. I'm through the first chapter of The Challenge of Jesus, and I'm not scared yet. I know it's a tiny part of his work, but the basic premise - the absolute necessity of understanding first century Judaism in order to interpret the gospels and Jesus' proclamation of the kingdom - is right on target.

Though I am indeed a "Calvinist," I'm always a bit skeptical when the shrill voices of Reformed criticism find a new person to tear to pieces, and right now, Wright is that person. I just don't see how Wright's basic premise is any different than an attempt at semper reformanda, the Reformation principle that we should be "always reforming." Have we really turned the interpretations of Calvin, Luther, and the old Princeton theologians into the new documents of an infallible teaching magisterium?

I'm looking forward to reading a couple of Wright's "big books" this summer, and I'm looking forward to having some calm, reasonable discussion about them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home