A Resting Place

"It is enough that Jesus died, and that He died for me."

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

The Trivialization of Truth

I try very hard not to go into Christian bookstores whenever possible, but every once in a while, I can't wait for something in the mail. So recently I ended up in one, and as I approached the counter, I found a horrible thing. There were "Christian" candy bars. There was a little phrase advertising the candy bar which read: Touch the soul, tickle the palate.

Are you kidding me? It is no wonder people aren't taking us seriously. We've trivialized the great truths of the Bible. I got back into my car, and the next track on the disc in my cd player was Ballad in Plain Red on Derek Webb's new cd. It's from the point of view of Satan, exposing his schemes for the 21st century in much the same way as C.S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters did. The following lyrics fell on my ears:

Keep selling truth in candy bars
On billboards and backs of cars
Truth without context, my favorite of all my crimes

Who can blame Derek Webb for railing against such nonsense, when people are actually buying crap like this? I'm all about finding ways to communicate the gospel to 21st century people, but trite little cliches and slogans for Jesus are not going to do it. It demonstrates a terrible lack of creativity as well as a disregard for the depth and profundity of the truth of Christ. How 'bout we try taking Jesus more seriously and ourselves less seriously, rather than trivializing His truth while so easily being offended by unbelievers?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home