A Resting Place

"It is enough that Jesus died, and that He died for me."

Saturday, January 15, 2005

as i was saying...

Leave it to me to forget an important part of the whole discussion about whether or not the doctrine of Christ being "fully God and fully man" was an early Christian belief, or something invented by Chalcedon in 451. That is, of course, the Chalcedon Confession itself. Allow me to quote just the first little bit:

Following, then, the holy fathers, we unite in teaching all men to confess the one and only Son, our Lord Jesus Christ. This selfsame one is perfect both in deity and in humanness; this selfsame one is also actually God and actually man, with a rational soul and a body.

The italicized part was added for emphasis. Notice it says what I've been saying all along: the believers at Chalcedon were clarifying what the holy fathers had taught before them. It wasn't invented in 451 AD. It was given that specific wording in 451, because teaching had arisen contrary to what Christians had believed since the beginning.

Ok, I think I'll put this one to rest now. I should really start taking up church history issues on my other blog, where I'll be writing (hopefully) more about the Christological controversies of the first few hundred years, as well as some stuff on the Pelagian controversy in the coming weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home