A Resting Place

"It is enough that Jesus died, and that He died for me."

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Headin' North


I would travel all my life if loneliness was not the price
But headin' north across that line is the only time I'm flyin'

~ "Hi'way Songs"

Being so close to the Canadian border has messed me up a bit. Growing up I tuned in as often as possible to a very fuzzy picture of Hockey Night in Canada. Gretzky was my hero. I could take or leave Florida, but trips to Toronto were my favorite family vacations. And my appreciation for the music of Gordon Lightfoot is darn near the point of obsession.



So I'm absolutely thrilled to be headin' north this weekend up to Toronto with my wife, my parents, my two brothers, and their wives. It's just a quick overnight stay, but we'll walk Yonge Street, shop at Eaton Centre, spend time in the hotel's pool, hot tub, and sauna, but best of all, get to see Gordon Lightfoot on stage at Massey Hall, the venue he has called "the centre of my universe as a performer and as a Canadian." We're seeing the last of four shows, so hopefully he won't be too tired to give a full set list. The word is last night's was 27 songs! His comeback to the stage is being celebrated by folk musicians, and I am looking forward to hearing his now rustic voice singing the classic songs again. I'll post a review when I get back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home